So this is a comment that Kamal makes often in class. I think it's funny and insightful because it is atypical of many professors.
Many just encourage us to think, write and read about the issue, even the brilliant professors who facilitate great lectures on race, class, international power and politics, etc. So, when you get to the ''so what'' part of the lecture, the resulting ideas are ironically disconnected from reality or direct action. So it's good to feel charged. In many ways being so surrounded by privilege at NYU creates in me a sense of stark self-consciousness....as the daughter of immigrants my reality sifts through a distinct filter where privilege is a sacred thing to be earned. So to have someone charge you with a message and a light and an idea is worthwhile.
I also think it's so typical to be burned out in the field of international development, so finding other people who sustain your passion is vital. I'm priviliged to be a part of class where I would welcome a chance to work with those students. This means you, Marlon and Luciana! : ) And to everyone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment